Monday, February 25, 2008

Fault me as you choose.....

Some of us have sat back and listened to offensive quotes emanating from Selectman Adam Bond for almost a year.
.
Remember when he called the opposition braying mules?
.
I encountered Mr. Bond the day that quote was FIRST published in the Boston Globe.
.
Although I hadn't yet read the article or quote, apparently Mr. Bond had received so much criticism, that he offered an excuse immediately.
.
At that time, his excuse was that he had been misquoted by the reporter - his comment was taken out of context.
.
Of course, I went home and called the reporter. During the conversation, she assured me that she had not taken the comment out of context.
.
Several days later, Mr. Bond repeated the same comment.
.
It was curious to consider Mr. Bond's excuse when several months later, he not only took my comments out of context, but deliberately edited the comments to alter their meaning.
.
At the TMFH, Mr. Bond described voters as stupid.
.
In August, Mr. Bond excused a convicted rapist and serial liar by saying that we all have skeletons in our closet.
.
Huh?
.
There are numerous other examples of Mr. Bond's unthinking comments creating offense.
.
Clearly, the most recent racism and Holocaust comments were inexcusable.
.
Fault me as you choose, but the Holocaust comments will remain on my blog.
.
It should not have been posted.
.
It remained for 2 days until I posted the link to the radio station.
.

Middleboro Review

6 comments:

Gladys Kravitz said...

Please keep your posts up on your blog!

All across this country, there are unsuspecting towns being set upon by reservation shoppers only to learn that they are racists if they object.

If we don't keep our lines in the sand, who will?

Anonymous said...

Gladys, I had several tearful 'non-conversations' with Jewish friends who were deeply upset by the Holocaust comparison.
They were 'non-conversations' because there are few words to describe how inappropriate Mr. Bond's thoughtless comment was. And by virtue of the failure to apologize to those he offended or to acknowledge his error beyond sniping at you and I, defines his insensitivity.
And I must tell you, most of the comments I received were from deeply religious Christians.
Save the comments. You'll need them if Mr. Bond ever runs for public office again.

Anonymous said...

I grieve that AMB didn't consider the ramifications of his reference to the Holocaust. He owes his own people an apology.

Anonymous said...

Adam, how about Cheshbon Hanefesh? Seems to me a little soul searching is in order.

Anonymous said...

Looking at Bond's post, the pattern is clear and we're upset about this. What action did he take to stop the hate? He and his angry wife work to perpetuate it.

Anonymous said...

Good post.